Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Goal

Over the weekend, I accompanied some youth on an adventurous trip to Ocoee, TN where they enjoyed paint-balling, whitewater rafting, ropes courses, rock-climbing, building pyramids, etc. In each event there was a goal whether it was to eliminate the other team in a paint-ball fight, beat the other team in a ropes course, stay alive rafting down the river or ring the bell at the top of a rigorous rock-climbing wall.

I've been reading lately about goals and the goals of our life. Too often, I have made my goal something other than Christ. I have either had a goal to succeed at something, achieve something or just survive the day. However, I am realizing that my goal should be Christ. Christ first, second and third. In everything, I want to know Christ and the fellowship of his sufferings and the power of his resurrection (Prov. 3:10). In knowing Christ, I will enjoy him and glorify him but I must be like Paul and say that I consider everything a loss compared to knowing him (Phil. 3:7). Paul also said, "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."(Phil. 3:14) (Prov. 3:5-6) says "Trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path." I acknowledge him as I choose to know him in every circumstance.

What is the goal of your life? If it is anything other than Christ, you will not experience true happiness.

p.s. The goal of the pyramid is to get everyone up before everyone came toppling down. We had great fun!

No comments: